Sunday, May 20, 2012

home again, home again


Look, I managed to get the baby away from Aunt Jamie. Darcy likes me best, Jamie. Nyahhh. Wow. I really need a bang trim, don't I?

Hey, guys! I had a lovely little getaway last week to see my mom and my sisters in Huntsville. Lots of celebrations to join in while we were there: my niece Jamie graduated nursing school (Go, Nurse Jamie! Hey, let me show you this rash on my elbow...), my two lucky girls were given a joint birthday/pool party, my sister Lori and her husband Sam were given a grandparent shower for their new little first grandbaby, Brody, there was a GNO birthday party at Bridge Street for my sister Lita, and of course there was the Mother's Day celebration on Sunday. Hoo boy, there are a lot of mothers in our family so I took a lot of cards and little gifts.

I need to lose an extra ten pounds now. We know how to properly celebrate things in my family: by eating gobs of good food.


Another fun thing we did while I was there was a bucolic drive to Decherd, TN for an all-day sewing/quilting party at Decherd Needleworks (my girls were busy kickin it with my nieces and Aunt Lita, who gets hives at the mention of things like "fabric shop" and "crafts"). Shop owner Jim loans my sister Leigh's quilt group a large, airy room with tables to sew on and supplies a fridge full of drinks. He also arranges delicious take out lunches for the group. So you bring your machine and supplies and sew all day, and take breaks to ooh and ahh over each other's projects and browse through the fabric and notions in his shop. He'll gladly run you a tab.

My mom and I strolled down the sidewalk along Main Street and looked around a bit too, since we didn't bring our machines. Found some brand new beanie babies in a jumble shop for $2.50 a piece! Score for Things 1 & 2. The rest of the time we sat in the quilt room, yapped a lot, and made scads of yo yos for Leigh's new pillow sham project. She's a real whip cracker. It was a good day.

8 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweet picture! Just look at those chubby thighs! No, not yours, silly! ;)

    Glad you had a great getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it suits you well... great you had a good time catching up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahahaha!! MORE beanie babies?!?

    Sounds like a fabulous time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, y'all. It had been way too long since I visited. It was so nice to go.

    Grandma G, I know, I love her leg rolls! I only wish my babies had been chubby like that. I tried very hard, but they remained skinny.

    Jessica, I know. I know! But they make them so happy. I couldn't resist. Did I mention they were a good price?

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are very beatifull Maşallah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your necklace and tee. Cute ensemble :). Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dilek, how sweet. Um. Do you have your glasses on?

    Katie, thanks! I love that sweater, it's as light as air, and I picked up the necklace at Target. They have a really cute collection right now.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!