Tuesday, August 19, 2014

what we're up to



We are enjoying our summer school break! I'm busy sewing up ornament samples and tweaking the patterns for Turtle Dove, French Hen and Colly Bird. The picture above is wool felt that is drip drying in my laundry room. (Pre-soaking the felt is an important step that ensures your embroidered creations won't shrink when you soak off the Sulky stabilizer!)


You can see that after a quick press it's back to looking exactly like it was before the soak!


While I'm upstairs banging away at the patterns, Thing 1 is learning to touch type. She's doing really well! She's also reading The Hobbit to gear up for her first year in a homeschool academy starting in September. Middle school, here we come.


Thing 2 is busy playing Monopoly with her Equestria Girls. I'm sure there are some educational benefits to that. Economics. Math. Real estate. Funology.

And in other news, my Schmoopie bought me a bike! It's the kind that you can sit upright on and has a bell. Ding! Just like the one I loved during my family's brief move to Holland. And my favorite part is the huge, cushy Oma seat. Aaaaahhhh. I've been having fun riding the bike trails around here with him. I forgot how much I love to ride a bike. It's the one athletic ability I have.

8 comments:

  1. Love the Monopoly pic! :) Adorable!

    That felt is so pretty. *sigh* Can't wait to see more ornaments. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catie, thanks! She's a ruthless Monopoly player. Kinda scary. And I totally sigh over felt too. :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the sneak peek of you new pattern!!! Eeeee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renae, thanks! I'm very excited about the new patterns. Having lots of fun with them. I hope to reveal the Turtle Dove soon.

      Delete
  3. Is Thing 1 using a special program for the touch typing? I'd like to get my Thing 1 learning it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Hitch and Thread, she's just using a free program we found online and liking it a lot:
      http://www.typingclub.com/typing-qwerty-en.html
      I researched several different software programs and got mixed reviews, and we tried one other free tute online (BBC kids version) that was too childish (lots of singing and animations that just got annoying!). This one seems to be the right mix.

      Delete
  4. I love Monopoly and I like to play with my little daughters;) I love your projects, tooooo! Hugs from Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the craft's.. And monopoly all memories...amadafuentes.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!